Driven by celebrities and social media, finger tattoos are exploding in popularity. The tattoo’s popularity is well deserved, though! Tattoos on your fingers are a fun, unique way to show off your style or to express something deep and personal.
It seems like everyone is getting finger tattoos lately. You don’t want to miss out on the trend, do you? Well, maybe you would be better off skipping this new trend. Before you rush out to your favorite tattoo artist, read on below to find out some of the pros and cons of getting a tattoo on your finger. As a bonus, we’ll even let you in on the truth about how painful getting this tattoo will be!
How Painful Will a Finger Tattoo Be?
Our fingers have very little fat and muscle in them. The tattoo machine’s needle is going to be coming down over your finger bones with little or no cushion in between skin and bone. Add the fact your fingers have an extensive collection of nerves and are extremely sensitive to touch sensations, which makes this one of the more painful areas of the body to get tattooed.
So now you know getting a finger tattoo will be painful. Still interested in getting one? Keep reading below to see some of the pros and cons of getting a tattoo on your finger!
Let’s start with the bad. Here are some of the major drawbacks to getting a this tattoo and why you may want to move to another body area.
- Your Tattoo Will Fade – Your hands and fingers take a pounding every day. The sun, heat, cold, washing, and daily use of your hands and fingers, will all quicken the rate a tattoo will fade on your finger. It doesn’t help that your skin is thinner around your finger than many other popular tattoo areas on your body.
- Things Can Get Fuzzy – Again, the thin skin on your finger can really affect the quality of a tattoo there. The tattoo ink will have a hard time bonding with the dermis of your skin. This can affect the shading and tones of the ink and leave you with a fuzzy or blurry-looking mess on your finger. This makes getting extravagant and highly detailed designs difficult.
- Hard to Hide – Tattoos are becoming more mainstream every day. Many businesses are coming around to this and allowing employees to have greater leeway in the amount of ink they can have showing and where it can show. But, it is worth noting that not all businesses are as enlightened as others. Having your hands and fingers inked up could cause some potential employers to take a pass on hiring you. You will naturally be able to hide some smaller designs, but it will be near impossible to keep extensive work hidden.
Now that we have all of the bad out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the pros of finger tattoos and why you need to get one today!
- Conversation Starters – It is probably going to be hard to keep your tattooed fingers hidden all of the time. And really, why would you want to? Tattoos on your fingers are eye-catching and tend to draw people in for a closer look. They can make for great ice breakers!
- Symbol of Love – Your wedding ring represents the eternal love between you and your spouse. Why not take it a step further and permanently tattoo a symbol of that love on you? Whether it’s a sold band design or your love’s name spelled out around your finger, a wedding band finger tattoo can be the ultimate demonstration of your undying love! As a sign of love and remembrance, you could get the names of loved ones that have passed away around your finger as well.
- Beginner Friendly – Finger tattoos make for great first tattoos. Obviously small, these tattoos come in a near-limitless variety of design choices. You can choose from patterns, letters, lines, shapes, music notes; the options are only limited by your or your tattoo artist’s imagination! As simple as they can be, finger tattoos still allow you to boldly show off your style. And since they are smaller than many other tattoos, you will be able to get in and out of the tattoo shop quicker. Plus, being smaller allows this tattoo to be a cheap first step for beginners.
Now you have a clearer picture of what you should expect if you decide to get a finger tattoo. Yes, it will hurt, but if your employer is cool with them, tattoos on your fingers are a great way to introduce others to your style. Just make sure you’re prepared for all the comments and questions you are going to be getting!