During the pandemic situation of COVID-19, our lifestyle has changed drastically. So, we changed our dressing styles as well. As a working woman, you must know how peaceful it is to get rid of those formal suits for long hours. Due to the work-from-home culture, women are much privileged to wear comfortable clothes. Most of us prefer to wear dresses that make us feel light and comfortable at home. This is why kaftan and muumuu have gained immense popularity recently because they are trendy and make fashion statements.
Kaftan and muumuu look quite similar. Therefore, many people get confused between these outfits. But do you know what the difference is between a kaftan and a muumuu? Read this post to find out the difference between a kaftan and a muumu.
What Is a Kaftan?
‘Kaftan’ is a Persian word, and it is also familiar as a caftan. It is a type of tunic or robe. Kaftan was worn across the world thousands of years ago. Usually, it is a narrow-cut long robe with full sleeves.
It comes with a deep open neck, or it gets entirely open from the front. Some kaftans come with buttons as well. There are various types of kaftan in different parts of the world. For example, in North America and Europe, loose-fitting robes or tunics are known as kaftans.
The Origin of Kaftans
The origin of a kaftan lies in ancient Mesopotamia, and it became popular across the Ottoman empire. The Ottoman sultans used to wear richly decorated caftans or kaftans to maintain their status in society. The Moroccan judge also started to wear kaftans as a symbol of power. Almost every culture had the trend of wearing loose-fitting kaftan-like garments.
Types of Kaftans
- Full Length Kaftans: These kaftans are also familiar as maxi kaftans. Usually, Asian ladies wear these kaftans. It comes with wide long sleeves. Cotton, chiffon, crepe, and silk are some common materials to manufacture full-length kaftans.
Pro-Tip: You can wear this dress at engagement parties or evening parties as well. The long kaftans are available in various designs.
- Midi Kaftans: Midi kaftans will be an excellent choice for you if you are looking for a summer dress. These dresses are quite comfortable. If the long kaftans feel too bulky for you, you can go for the midi kaftans. You can match these kaftans with shorts, swimsuits, tank tops, and jeans.
- Short Kaftans: These kaftans can be an excellent option if you love to wear tops. Short kaftans come in various fabrics and designs. You can match these kaftans with capris, jeans, or skin-fit pants.
What Is Muumuu?
The muumuu is a type of long dress that hangs from the shoulder. It comes in floral patterns and vivid colors. Usually, Hawaiian residents wear these dresses. As the specific design of muumuu doesn’t restrict the waist portion, it is pretty popular as maternity wear.
The Origin of a Muumuu
The concept of muumuu originated in 1820 with the arrival of the Christian protestant missionaries. The missionaries introduced the concept of muumuu to cover the Hawaiian women’s skin. In the 20th century also this dress was quite popular as tropical island wear. Famous designers like Christian Dior, Halston integrated muumuus into the mainstream.
Presently Hawaiian women love to wear muumuus. They think this loose-fitting, comfortable dress is mandatory for their wardrobe. This dress is perfect to wear as an evening dress, beachwear, and dating dress.
Types of Muumuus
- A-Line Muumuus: It is the most common style for muumuus. A-line muumuus flow from the shoulders to the down. It is suitable for all body shapes. If you want to hide your extra pounds, A-line muumuus will be perfect for you. Pregnant women can also carry it comfortably.
- Fitted Muumuu: The fitted muumuu is also quite popular. These muumuus are also suitable for all body types. Due to the loose-fitting, it hugs every inch of your body perfectly.
Muumuus come in various lengths as knee length, full length, and mid-calf dress. You can choose any of these according to your preference.
Both kaftans and muumuus are pretty trendy among fashion enthusiasts. However, these two fashion statements look almost similar, but they are different in design and patterns. The origins are also different.
Hopefully, this information will help you to understand the differences between these dresses. You can choose any of these outfits to feel the premium appearance and utmost comfort. However, no matter which outfit you choose, a kaftan or a muumuu, wear it with confidence and make it your signature fashion statement!