Influencer marketing simply refers to marketing using the power of “influencing.” The influencer here could be anyone. Influencers are a group of people who are followed by a larger group of people in a professional setting. When an influencer promotes a product, thousands or millions of followers get to know about it. Influencer marketing has been around for as long as we can remember. For instance, you have a friend. Your friend is wearing a garment you like or carrying an accessory you want to purchase. In this context, your friend suggests that you go to the store. They persuade you to buy from a specific store or purchase a product. Word of mouth has been an example of influencer marketing since forever. The only difference between older times and now is that influencer marketing has become a source of digital marketing. Another major factor that has brought influencers to where they are today is that they are as effective as word of mouth but influence people in bulk.
The What and Why
Why do you think influencer marketing is booming with each passing day? The first and most important reason is that the influencer, like the people who follow them, started from scratch. They all began with 50 followers and have since grown to millions. This did not happen overnight and took a lot of hard work and effort. Influencers are known to be multi-taskers at the start of their careers when they first started creating content. From videography to content creation, they have seen and done it all. Hence, they are common people who worked their way up to the top. It is an instant connection between the influencer and their group of followers.
Dos and Don’ts
- Find an influencer who is relevant to your product and service. For example, if you are launching an electronic device, you should look for an influencer who deals with technology. Similarly, if you are planning to promote your makeup product, makeup artists or fashion influencers are the way to go.
- Let the influencers execute their way—every influencer has a certain style and type of content. When the client’s product or service is presented to the audience in their own style, it leaves a deeper impression. The script will also work much better if it is written by the influencers themselves and not provided to them by the product. At the end of the day, it is not just about the product, but about seamlessly incorporating the product into their content.
- Figure out a plan and a proper strategy with the influencer. Remember that influencer marketing is about building relationships with both consumers and businesses.
- It is much more than money; people follow influencers for reasons other than fame. It is completely for their content. Hence, the audience is completely the result of their hard work, and they would not want to lose it. So, it is very important for the influencer to actually believe in your product or service to make the audience believe in it further. It is still a two-way street. Even the client should believe that the influencer is a good fit for them and that their working style is appropriate. Influencer marketing is much more than finding someone with an audience and offering them money or exposure to say good things about you.
- How do you find the right influencer? Do not look at the number of followers. Rather, look at the type of audience and engagement. An influencer with hundreds of followers might work better for your product or service than an influencer with a million followers.
- Time is money (quite literally); it is very important to understand that this is not an immediate process. It might take time to work. Hence, the client should be patient and give the process time to brew!
- Find out everything about the working style of the influencer you are hiring—every influencer has a different working style. This is also in the context of how they get paid. Some believe in taking a percentage of every purchase made through them. Some influencers also like to have a code with which their followers can get discounts. Hence, it is important for the client to figure everything out before going ahead with the process.
- Look at your budget first! Each influencer charges differently, depending on who they are. If you have to promote a small business, it is better to go for influencers who do not charge much and are also in the initial stages of their careers. If you have a good, profitable brand, then you may go for the big names in the influencer market. It is crucial to not drain yourself financially while going through the process.
It’s All About Apps and Reels
Many apps have trickled up and trickled down. It is important to be aware of what apps are trending right now and what best suits your product. Next, how often do we see pictures on Instagram? It is mostly about the reels! Hashtags are a must! More hashtags bring more traffic to a post. Many such points should be kept in mind before going for influencer marketing!
As of 2022, the influencer marketing industry was worth $15 billion. It is rising every day and holds a lot of power.