Quick weaves have taken the hair extension world by storm, offering a revolutionary way to transform your locks in minutes. With the right texture and quality hair, quick weaves allow you to go from drab to fab without spending hours and big bucks at the salon. For hair divas on a budget, quick weaves are the perfect solution.
Image credits: UNice Hair
This comprehensive guide will provide an in-depth look at everything you need to know about quick weaves. We’ll walk through how to choose the ideal hair type and texture to match your natural tresses. You’ll learn proper installation techniques to achieve a seamless blend. We’ll also dive into maintenance and care tips to help your new weave last. Consider this your quick weave encyclopedia to unleash your inner divine goddess. Let’s get started!
1. What Are Quick Weaves and Why Are They So Popular?
Image credits: Hermosa Hair
Before we dive into the specifics of hair types, let’s first understand what quick weaves are and why they are gaining immense popularity. Quick weaves are a hair extension method that involves bonding hair wefts onto a protective cap or directly onto your natural hair. This process allows for a seamless and temporary transformation, making it a favored choice among those who love to experiment with their hairstyles.
Quick weaves surged in popularity in the early 2000s and remain a go-to technique for their speed, affordability, and versatility. The term “quick” refers to the fast application, not the durability. With proper care, quick weaves can last 4-6 weeks.
Quick weaves offer several advantages:
The Benefits of Quick Weaves
There are many reasons quick weaves have become a go-to style for African-American women:
- Speedy Transformation: As the name suggests, quick weaves are incredibly fast to install. Unlike traditional sew-in weaves that can take hours, quick weaves can be done in a fraction of the time. This means you can switch up your look for a special occasion or a night out with minimal effort.
- Affordable: Starting at around $100, quick weaves cost much less than sew-ins.
- Low maintenance: No need for frequent tightening of braids or tracks. Just wash, condition, and style as you would your own hair.
- Hair Protection: Quick weaves provide a protective barrier between your natural hair and the outside elements. This helps prevent damage caused by excessive heat styling or exposure to harsh environmental factors. Your natural hair remains tucked away, ensuring its health and longevity.
- Versatility: Quick weaves come in various styles and textures, making them suitable for any occasion. Whether you desire sleek straight hair, bouncy curls, or natural waves, there’s a quick weave option for you. This versatility allows you to experiment with different looks without committing to a single style.
- DIY friendly: If you’re handy with styling your own hair, you can buy quality hair and supplies online and install quick weaves yourself.
2. Choosing the Right Hair Texture for a Seamless Blend
While quick weaves offer many benefits, choosing the right hair is key to achieving a natural, seamless look that lasts. Consider the following factors when selecting hair for your quick weave:
- Texture : The texture of the hair you choose should match your natural hair texture. This ensures a seamless blend between your natural hair and the extensions. Common textures include straight, wavy, curly, and kinky.
- Quality : Opt for high-quality hair extensions to achieve a more natural and long-lasting result. Remy hair, which is human hair with intact cuticles, is a popular choice. It maintains its integrity and can be styled just like your natural hair.
- Length : Consider the desired length of your quick weave. Whether you prefer a short and sassy look or long and flowing locks, choose hair extensions that match your vision.
- Color : Hair color is another crucial factor. Select a shade that complements your skin tone and blends seamlessly with your natural hair. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also experiment with highlights or ombre effects.
- Budget : While quality should be a priority, it’s essential to consider your budget. High-quality hair extensions may be an investment, but they often yield the best results and can be reused.
3. Top Hair Types for Quick Weaves
Now that you’re equipped with the knowledge to make an informed choice let’s explore some of the top hair types for quick weaves:
I. Yaki Texture
Image credits: Natural Girl wigs
Yaki hair is by far the most popular for quick weaves. Its kinky-curly texture provides the closest match to relaxed African-American hair. It blends beautifully and cuts down on shedding. Go for a 10”-14” inch yaki straight or yaki curly weave in #2 jet black or dark brown.
Recommended hair: Outre Yaki Straight Weave Hair, Model Model Yaky Curly Weave Hair
II. Body Wave Texture
Image credits: DSoar Hair
The body wave features a loose “S” pattern that curls from root to tip. This texture adds bounce, movement, and a touch of wave. The loose waves of body wave hair offer movement and bounce while seamlessly blending with relaxed hair. It’s also easy to style straight or wavy. Choose 14-20” inch lengths in natural black, dark brown, or brown.
Recommended hair: Femi Collection Body Wave Hair Bundles, Hergivenhair Body Wave Weave Hair
III. Kinky Curly Texture
Image credits: ONYC Hair
For those with naturally tight coils, kinky curly is perfect for matching your texture. These wefts feature defined ringlets and major curl power. Kinky curly makes a bold statement while complementing natural 3C/4C hair. Choose styles like finger coils, twist curls, or wet and wavy. Opt for dark black or dark brown colors.
Recommended hair: Outre Kinky Curly Weave Hair, Model Kinky Curly Weave Hair
IV. Deep Wave Texture
Image credits: Mic Hair
Somewhere between body wave and kinky curly, deep wave wefts have elongated “S” curls for looser definition. Deep wave is ideal for replicating 3B and 3C curl patterns on natural hair. It works well for those transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. Go for a 16-20” inch cut in #1B black or #2 dark brown.
Recommended hair: Sensationnel Deep Twist Weave Hair, Outre Jamaican Twist Weave Hair.
4. How to install Quick Weaves
Once you’ve selected the perfect hair for your quick weave, it’s time to install it. Here are some tips:
- Start with clean, tangle-free natural hair. Dry and lightly oil your hair.
- Place a wig cap over your hairline, smoothing out bumps. Secure the back with bobby pins.
- Apply weave glue (Got2B glue is great) along the cap perimeter in a zigzag pattern. Wait til tacky.
- Press the first weft track onto the glued cap. Continue gluing tracks in a U shape around the cap’s perimeter.
- Once the perimeter is tracked, fill in the top and crown area with wefts in the direction hair grows.
- Let the glue dry completely before styling. Carefully cut any excess tracks as needed.
- Style as desired, adding product to blend your natural hair with the weave hair.
5. Caring for Your Quick Weave
- Gently shampoo and condition hair 1-2x per week, massaging skin beneath tracks. Rinse thoroughly.
- Allow hair to air dry, or use a cool setting on your blowdryer. Minimize direct heat on the extensions.
- Apply oils like argan or coconut oil to condition the hair and scalp, reducing itchiness.
- Gently detangle with a tooth comb or fingers, removing shed hairs. Avoid excessive brushing.
- To prolong your style, do not pull too tightly when styling hair into updos or high ponies.
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase to minimize friction that can lead to tangles.
- Avoid swimming, hot tubs, and excessive sweating that can loosen the adhesive bonds.
Time to Get Your Quick Weave On!
Now that you know how to select the ideal hair, properly install, and care for quick weaves, you can rock this stylish protective style with confidence! Invest in quality human hair, take care not to pull too tightly when styling, and moisturize your hair and scalp regularly. With the right maintenance, your fabulous quick weave can last 4-6 weeks.
Change up your look from long and luscious to bouncy curls to trendy top knots anytime you feel like it. Your perfect quick weave awaits – get ready to slay!
How long do quick weaves last?
With proper care, they can last 4-6 weeks. The adhesive hold begins weakening after that.
Do quick weaves damage your hair?
They are protective when installed correctly. But pulling too tightly on tracks or using excessive glue can damage natural hair over time.
What is better: glue-in or sew-in weave?
Sew-ins allow your natural hair to grow longer under the weave. But glue-ins create a seamless blend and
are much faster to install.
Can I reuse quick-weave hair?
You can reuse quality human hair 2-3x with proper cleansing. But the tracks themselves don’t adhere as well after the first install.
What’s better: pre-cut hair bundles or bulk hair?
Pre-cut bundles save time. But bulk hair allows you to customize the amount and length. Either works great!
Can I wear a quick weave for my wedding?
Definitely! Have it installed 1-2 weeks prior so your hair and scalp can adjust. Schedule a touch-up right before the big day.